Welcome to the ultimate dorm packing list made by someone who lived in a college dorm when they were a freshman!
Living in a dorm was one of the most exciting times in my college career. I made a lot of friends and made so many memories.
Enough about me, but keep scrolling for the best college dorm packing list on the Internet (that also comes with a college dorm list pdf!)
This article includes everything you need to pack so you can thrive in comfort while living in a dorm.
The Ultimate Dorm Packing List
What do you need to pack to live in a dorm? Living in a dorm was one of the things I couldn’t wait to do once I got accepted into my university.
I couldn’t wait to experience living on the campus and on my own for the first time.
1.) Breathe. I know that packing for a college dorm can get overwhelming.
2.) Congrats on getting into college!
3.) I’m here to help you figure out what are your college dorm essentials.
Move-In Day was a brand new experience for me as a first-generation student. My excitement was so powerful that I didn’t even know what to pack!
I forgot so many items and constantly made trips to the store every month.
So here I am trying to help you answer the following question:
“What do I really need for my dorm room?”
I tried to include the absolute essentials but each person has their own preferences.
If you getting college essentials on budget, then you should buy these from Target or Wal-Mart because they have sales right around the start of college.
But I actually found everything you need on Amazon, gathered it all up, and made you an easy shopping list!
We’ve curated a shopping list of dorm room essentials for you!
Access the full shopping list here:
Of course, you do not need to buy everything on the list. Use this list and my suggestions below so that you don’t miss what’s important to you.
The Ultimate Dorm Packing List
Tech is probably my favorite section to talk about due to how much I use technology. For your freshmen year in a dorm room, you will need a few huge items.
This dorm room checklist only gives the basics so if you know you’ll want to bring something that’s not in this section, check with your university and their check policy (because I bought an Amazon Firestick my freshmen year for my dorm and it wasn’t permitted to work on-campus wifi.)
Obviously, you’ll need some sort of laptop as a college student nowadays. I personally started out with an Apple MacBook Air that I got on sale and used it until I needed to upgrade to a MacBook Pro. I recommend a MacBook Air for most college students due to how it was made for students in made (literally what the Apple sales guy told me when picking) and how light it is.
- Stunning 13.3-inch Retina display with True Tone technology
- Backlit Magic Keyboard and Touch ID
- Tenth-generation Intel Core i3 processor
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics
- Fast SSD storage
You can not believe how important phones are nowadays in college.
If your high school was anti-technology, then college might be a little culture shock for you.
Sure, some professors won’t allow you to use your phone in class, but phones are needed for almost anything nowadays.
- Fully unlocked and compatible with any carrier of choice (e.g. AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, US-Cellular, Cricket, Metro, etc.).
- The device does not come with headphones or a SIM card. It does include a charger and charging cable that may be generic.
- Inspected and guaranteed to have minimal cosmetic damage, which is not noticeable when the device is held at arm's length.
- Successfully passed a full diagnostic test which ensures like-new functionality and removal of any prior-user personal information.
- Tested for battery health and guaranteed to have a minimum battery capacity of 80%.
What you really need to bring to your dorm room are chargers for any device you plan on bringing to campus. From your laptop, phone, etc.
Don’t forget it at home!
I even recommend getting a long phone charger due to how weirdly placed some dorm electrical outlets are.
- 【Compatible device】：Our apple charger cable compatible with iPhone 14/13/12/11/Pro/Max/Mini/iPhone XS/iPhone Max/iPhone XR/iPhone X/iPhone 8 Plus/iPhone 8/iPhone 7 Plus/iPhone 7/iPhone 6s Plus/iPhone 6s/iPhone 6 Plus/iPhone 6/iPhone 5s/iPhone 5c/iPhone 5/iPad Air/Air 2/iPad mini/mini 2/mini 4/iPad 4th gen/iPod Touch 5th gen
- 【MFi-certified Chip】： 2 Pack 10Ft BSTOEM cable adopts Apple's officially certified chip to ensure faster and safer charging. No rupture, low loss.
- 【Fast Charging & Data Sync 2 in 1】：2.4 Amp(MAX) fast charging and 480mpbs/s data transmission, while preventing overheating and overcharging. Trickle charge and protect the device battery.
- 【Super durable】：BSTOEM iPhone charging cable is more durable. Reinforced and lengthened cable joints passed 10,000+ bend test. Laser welding technology is adopted at the connection between the connector and the cable to make the connection more firm and will not break easily.
- 【What You Get】： BSTOEM Cable Six months friendly customer service. Any questions or product damaged please contact us.
One item you can bring to your dorm for entertainment purposes is a television.
I know that some campuses give students free cable if they live on campus. Also, you can watch Netflix right in your dorm with a smart TV!
This one is similar to the television I have now that I’ve been having for almost 4 years.
- Easy Voice Control: Works with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant to help you find movie titles, launch or change channels, even switch inputs, using just your voice. Also available through the Roku mobile app
- Smart Functionality offers access to over 5,000 streaming channels featuring more than 500,000 movies and TV episodes via Roku TV
- 1080p Full HD Resolution excellent detail, color, and contrast. Wireless Connection: 802.11 2x2 Dual Band
- Direct-lit LED produces great picture quality with 60Hz refresh rate for fast moving action scenes with virtually no motion blur. Screw Size : M4 x 8
- Inputs: 3 HDMI, 1 USB, RF, Composite, Headphone Jack, optical audio out
One unexpected thing to bring to college is an ethernet cable for your television. I did not know that I needed one for my television on campus and had to search high and low for one on campus. I just ended up buying one from Amazon.
- 【Heavy duty & Direct Burial】: The double shielded Cat8 Ethernet cable is super-efficient in reducing EMI/RFI Interference and provide highest fidelity for long distance data transmission. With upgraded PVC, Cat8 is waterproofed & anti-corrosion and more durable & flexible for heavy duty work. Can be buried directly . Suitable for both outdoor and indoor use.
- 【26AWG & Superior Performance】: Comparing with other 32AWG Ethernet cable, 26AWG Cat8 is thicker, a lot faster and stable in data transferring, which is perfectly suitable for AI smart products, like Amazon Alexa, Apple Siri, Google Home, Cloud data Server and other smart home & office products that require high speed & high-performance network.
- 【F/FTP & Hyper Speed】: Cat8 Ethernet cable is made of 4 shielded foiled twisted pair(F/FTP) and single strand OFC wires(26AWG) which supports bandwidth up to 2000MHz and boosts the speed of data transmission up to 40Gbps. Shielded Cat8 and the improved quality in twisting of the pairs, Cat8 can reduce any signal interference to the full extent. Allow you to stream HD videos, music, surf the net, play games at Hyper Speed.
- 【RJ45 Connectors & Wide Compatibility】: With two shielded RJ45 connectors at both ends, the Cat8 Ethernet cable works perfectly with networking switch, IP Cam, routers, Nintendo switch, ADSL, Adapters, Modem, PS3, PS4, X-box, Patch panel, Servers, Networking Printers, Netgear, TP-link, NAS, VoIP phones, laptop, Coupler, Hubs, Keystone jack, Smart TV, Imac and other device with RJ45 connectors. Also compatible with Cat7/Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6/Cat6e.
- 【Weatherproof & UV Resistant】: Shielded with high quality UV-resistant PVC jacket, the outdoor rated Cat8 Ethernet cable is anti-aging. It can withstand direct sunlight and extreme cold & humid & hot weather yet still working efficiently. Premium design with great quality. 18 months warranty with lifetime welcoming customer service.
If you know anything about me is that I am a music lover and I brought so many pairs of earbuds with me during my first year of college.
You will absolutely need a pair of headphones or earbuds for studying.
I wished I got AirPods earlier because they are perfect for college students and even get a free pair when you buy your laptop with Apple during a certain time of year.
- Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ear
- Universal fit that’s comfortable all day
- Automatically on, automatically connected
- Easy setup for all your Apple devices
- Quick access to Siri by saying “Hey Siri”
So in your dorm, you’ll most likely have a twin XL dorm and can be adjusted to your height preference. I fell out of my bed once trying to reach my phone charger and do not recommend placing that high. But this section gives what you need for your dorm room bed or bedding.
When I tell you that mattresses in dorms are hard, I want to you believe me. They are also gross. You will need a mattress pad for comfort. This is an absolute must for college dorms. I use this mattress pad during my freshmen year at Amazon, and it worked perfectly fine.
- Lightweight quilted mattress pad with hypoallergenic fill—ideal for allergy sufferers
- Knitted fabric sides stretch to ensure the perfect fit; fits twin XL size mattresses up to 18 inches deep
- Poly-cotton fabric on both sides ensures breathability and easy care
- Machine wash and dry (safe for high temperatures)
- Made in OEKO-TEX Standard 100 factory, an independent certification system that ensures textiles meet high safety and environmental standards.
Next, if you love to sleep on a softer surface, then you need a mattress cushion. My roommate had one but I don’t. I prefer a harder surface for my back but that’s me. My current apartment subleaser gave me a cushion and it was really nice. I recommend them, especially if you want a softer bed.
Twin XL comforter
Dorm rooms are cold, especially if you don’t have control over the temperature.
You will need a Twin XL comforter.
Sometimes comforters include extra pillows and sheets. My comforter included extra stuff but getting a quilt can work find for you.
Find a comforter that will coordinate with your dorm decor.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This comforter set includes one Twin/Twin XL Ultra-Soft Down Alternative Comforter (66” by 92”) and one matching pillow sham (20” by 26”).
- ALL-SEASON COMFORT: Get the sleep you’ve been dreaming of with our Bare Home Comforter Set. Our comforters are designed to provide plush comfort all year round.
- BUILT TO LAST: Our comforters are carefully crafted with box stitching to contain the fill and prevent shifting and bunching.
- EASY CARE: Machine wash in cold water on gentle cycle. Air dry or tumble on low.
- REST ASSURED: Your first 30 nights are on us. Literally. If you don’t love your comforter set, send it back.
Twin XL Sheets
This is a college dorm essential that you CAN NOT GO WITHOUT. And PLEASE buy twin XL sheets that are not from the Dollar Store because those will cut and are so uncomfortable. Trust me, after returning from studying abroad in Greece and having no money, I bought some and it was so hard to sleep on them. Buy some Amazon, Target, anywhere but make sure you get some soft sheets (and even an extra pair.)
I had this exact pair of sheets for my dorm room’s mattress and they were perfect for me because I was searching high and low for college essentials on a budget.
- Twin XL (Extra-Long) bed sheet set includes (1) 66 x 96 inch flat sheet, (1) 39 x 80 x 14 inch fitted sheet, and (1) 20 x 30 inch Standard pillowcase
- All-around elastic on 14-inch fitted sheet allows for snug, secure fit of most mattress sizes up to a 16-inch mattress depth
- Super soft and durable polyester microfiber (85 GSM) fabric offers all-season comfort and resists wrinkles and fading
- Easy care bedding; machine wash warm with no bleach and tumble dry low
- Made in an OEKO-TEX Standard 100 factory, an independent certification system that ensures textiles meet high safety and environmental standards
Another college dorm essential is pillows. You need somewhere to put your head on at night. I recommend these pillows from Amazon because they are perfect for dorms. Make sure to get yourself 2 pillows. Having one pillow to sleep on sucked my freshman year.
- WAKEUP WELL RESTED: Forget about sleeping in discomfort and waking up tired and with neck pain. Our highly breathable and comfortable pillows are specifically designed with 100% cotton so you can sink into them like soft, supportive clouds of comfort. Indulge your senses by laying down on these sleeping pillows after a tiring day and feel the difference the next day after a comfortable sleep.
- MAXIMUM BREATHABILITY & COOLNESS: Compared to poorly made microfiber pillow shells, we utilize a 220 Thread Count, 100% Cotton fabric to maximize coolness and breathability. This pillow will remain cool and comfortable even on the hottest nights.
- 100% HYPOALLERGENIC & ULTRA-DURABLE: Rest assured knowing that these pillows are made of hypoallergenic materials and are machine washable. Perfect as a down alternative pillow with 100% virgin synthetic polyester filling (highest quality in the pillow industry), it allows for irritation-free usage for years to come. Comes with 2 free pillowcases to additionally elevate your sleep quality.
- FOR SLEEPERS OF ALL AGES: Whether you are a back, stomach, or side sleeper, delight in our pillows with a medium fill level that seamlessly adheres to your sleeping position. Suitable for any bed, these hotel style bed pillows are perfect for all ages.
- PREMIUM QUALITY MADE IN THE USA: Sleep on premium quality sleeping pillows that are made under the highest standards with high-end materials, right here in the USA. When the time comes, simply throw them in the washing machine (cold gentle cycle) and dryer (tumble dry low) with your other clothes and enjoy easy maintenance.
Bed Rest Pillow
Now, this one of the most unexpected things to bring to college. People do not understand how AWESOME these pillows are. When are in bed and want to sit up to do work on your laptop, you’ll need one of these. This was one of the best investments I had throughout my four years at college. Here is one on Amazon that is perfect for dorm rooms.
- Ultimate Reading Pillow: Spill the beans on beanbag cushions and try our soft, luscious memory foam reading pillows instead. Curl up in bed, on the couch or floor with a good book and relax in our pillow’s arms for comfort and support.
- Customizable Comfort: Pillow too firm? Pull some stuffing out. Too soft? Put more stuffing in! The accessible foam insert lets you customize your own comfort and extend your pillow’s service life with fresh foam available from Milliard. Shredded memory foam offers many of the same benefits as its solid alternative, but is lighter, airier, and still molds itself to your comfort.
- Removable Fur Cover: Zippered Faux Fur outer cover is removable and machine washable for quick cleanup of spills and stains. Featuring a convenient carry handle for portability because once you try it you’ll never want to be without!
- Great For: Reading in bed, Watching TV, Curling up on the sofa, Sleeping upright for nasal congestion or acid reflux (heartburn), leg arm and back elevator or any sort of bed rest. Gift the Milliard Reading Pillow to add the perfect touch of décor and color to any space!
- CertiPUR Certified: All Milliard foam products are vacuum-packed for freshness and should be left to expand for at least 24-48 hours to reach full size. Milliard Reading Pillow measures 18 x 15 inches and is a perfect size for adults, teens and even kids.
If you are planning to decorate your dorm, then check out some decorative pillows. You can find them cheap on Amazon or at Target.
- Made of Polyester 100%.
- Suitable for sofa, bed, home, car, office.
- Size: 18 x 18 inch, 45cm x 45 cm, it can be stretched 1 more inch because of elastic material.
- Artificial Fur Pillow Covers ONLY, inserts are not included.
- Machine wash in Cold water, delicate cycle, hang to dry. Because of the fluff material of this product, please be careful not to clip the fluff when using the zipper.
Again, dorms can get cold. You’ll also want to be comfortable some days, especially those rainy days on campus (we don’t talk about those days). I recommend getting a fluffy blanket and that’s it.
Blankets are my top dorm must-haves because they’re so nice to have. I
‘m also biased because I’m literally wrapped up in 2 blankets as I write this sentence.
- A glamorously cozy living and bedroom addition without the guilt or shedding of real fur throw blanket comes in taupe gray, off white and chinchilla stripe
- Silky soft, dense and warming faux fur pile that feels and looks like the real thing, designed especially for You by Eikei Home, USA
- Backed with lush velvet and unlike ordinary blankets provides irresistible plushness on both sides
- Extra large measures 59 by 69 inches, long and wide enough to snuggle under it on your couch or sofa
- Does not shed and is machine washable which makes it a unique, practical and luxurious gift for winter holidays, birthdays and anniversaries
Up next is your dorm room closet essentials. From my experience, dorms have closets that are basically wardrobes. These things are not that big. But dorms also might provide a drawer set as well.
Free tip: Pack your basics when it comes to clothing. You do not need that many clothes as you think.
Buy a pack of hangers or two to do their job: hang your clothes in your closet.
Closet Shoe Holder
One of the best things I brought to my dorm for my closet was a shoe holder that went inside of my closet and hung on the door. You have no idea how annoying it was to trip over shoes while rushing to class in the morning. Purchase the exact one that I used in my dorm here on Amazon!
- Note: The side frames are white and the horizontal tubes are gray.
- All twelve bars have the ability to fold up to create a more customized storage option for shoes of all sizes and heights
- Coated metal bars keep shoes from sliding or falling off
- Non-slip door pads help prevent damage to the door
- Assembled Dimensions: 7.5 L x 22.6 W x 74.5 H inches
Clothes Storage Bags
If you have do not enough room in your dorm, then you should check out the clothes organizers storage bag.
These are great if you happen to not have enough space in your closet for clothes and need to put them somewhere. I
wish I knew about these when I lived in a dorm because I had extra blankets and coats that I didn’t wear and would have placed them at the bottom of my bed.
- 3-pack of organizer bags for keeping clothing and household items safely stored
- Large clear window for identifying contents without the need to open the bag; carry handles for easy access
- Great for a closet, bedroom, attic, or dorm room; fold easily for compact storage when not in use
- Zipper closure protects against dust, water damage, and odors
- Measures 19 x 14 x 8 inches each (LxWxH)
Lucky for you, dorms provide a free desk. They most likely are not going to be the best looking because they are not. Every single dorm picture I have seen on Pinterest has that same yellow desk that I even had at my dorm at LSU! Anyway, I have a short blog post about all the college dorm desk essentials you will want but these are the essentials.
One of my main desk dorm essentials is a desk lamp. College dorms might not provide one, but it’s nice to have one for when you have to study late at night and do not want to disturb your roommate.
I use this one from Amazon that is so cool because its brightness can be adjusted and its warmth or coolness can, too!
It’s my favorite lamp so far because I had a cheap one that literally burned my eyes whenever I turned it on because it was so bright.
- [6 Models are available for purchase]: White basic, Black, Pink, Silver plus, Black plus, Pink plus.
- Model Plus: The led desk lamp with wireless charger. Seamlessly charge your phone or earbuds by placing them in the center of the charging pad.
Straight up, your dorm will provide you will this chair that you will probably end up hating. I had a wooden cushion chair that would rock back and forth. It couldn’t roll or anything. Just store that away underneath your bed or something because that’s what I did during my junior year in my apartment. Those desk chairs are horrible. If you can get a better desk chair, especially for your back!
- ❤️【Ergonomic Office Chair】Ergousit ergonomic chair provides 4 supporting points(head/ back/ hips/ hands) and a proper lumbar support. The headrest can be adjusted up/down and rotating. More suitable for a variety of sitting positions and heights. Our adjustable backrest can perfectly fit your spine and significantly ease the fatigue and pain of your back.
- ❤️【Soft and Breathable Seat Cushion】Our breathable mesh provides optimal airflow to avoid sweating and sticking. The thickened seat cushion is made of high-density foam, which ensures minimum pressure on your legs during prolonged seating periods. You’ll forget you’re even working.
- ❤️【Stable Metal Base& Storable Back】The pneumatic lifting cylinder of the mesh back office chair has passed the SGS and BIFMA test standards to ensure that the mesh chair has a weight capacity of 275lbs. Our metal 5-Point Base with dual castors gives greater stability and strength than common single castor chairs's 4-Point base .The unique design of the back makes it easy to store things. Allows you to get the files or books you want faster.
- ❤️【Easy to Install lounge recline】 Simple instructions for this desk chair enable anyone to put this executive chair together in 5 simple steps! Once assembled, you can raise or lower the seat and tilt backrest or sit straight up from 110°-90, or you can just simply using rocking backrest. You can always find your exclusive angle. How smart you are for finding such chair. Try this Komene Ergonomic Office Chair and feel the difference expeirence it bring to your life.
- ❤️【2 Years After-sale Support】We attach great importance to customers' shopping experience. We are so sorry that we can't guarantee 100% satisfaction with our product, but we are willing to fill those imperfections with our after-sales service! All ergonomic chair have a 2-years warranty and professional after-sales support. If you have any quality problems, please contact us, and we will provide you with a 100% satisfactory solution.
I recommend getting a pack of sticky notes to write down assignments. Seriously, I talk about how this helped me get my life together in my college morning routine post, but writing 2-3 tasks down on a sticky note makes you 10x more productive. It honestly was how I managed to stay organized in college.
Dry Erase Markers
Around campus, there will be places that have dry erase boards for you to use to study. My dorm had a few in our study rooms. I recommend having some in your room just in case. You never know when you will need them.
- Dry erase markers in a range of bold, vibrant colors
- Ultra-fine tip for precise marking in small spaces
- Low odor ink, ideal for home, classroom, and office use
- Erase cleanly and easily with an EXPO eraser
- Includes 8 Assorted dry erase markers: Black, Red, Blue, Green, Orange, Brown, Pink and Purple
Dry Erase Wall Pop-Up
I also recommend getting a dry erase wall pop-up. It was one of my favorite college essentials all throughout college because I also would write reminders and positive quotes on it.
- Material:BPA and Chlorine free plastic
- Size:7.7" diameter x 10.2" high, 1.5 Gallon Capacity
- Great for dorm rooms, apartments, condos and campers
- Wipe clean with a damp cloth
- Colors: 2-Grey,2-Apricot,2-White,2-Coffe. DO NOT mean you will receive two trash cans
So, you will need a trash can for your desk for sure. My dorm did not provide one, but just know that you can find a small one that can do right next to your desk.
You need someone to place all your pens and pencils. I used mugs to hold all my pens and pencils.
You have no idea how much paper you will have given to you throughout your first year.
I was not expecting to have to buy a folder during my first year of college.
I eventually needed to buy a file to hang on my wall in order to organize all my papers. This one is the closest one to the one hanging on my wall right now.
- ▶High Quality! The wall file holder is made of high quality metal mesh material, elegant and contemporary mesh construction with durable powder coat finish, anti-oxidation and anti-rust, effectively extend the service life, suitable for many years and withstand lots of use
- ▶Multipurpose and Space-saving Design. The wall file holder has 3 separate oblique slots, which is great for sorting files, documents, magazines, literature, catalogs, mail, brochures, manilla envelopes and notebooks. Take full advantage of your vertical space and keep your desktop empty and tidy
- ▶Humanize Design. Easy to mounting on the wall with the hardware, and screws included. Arched pocket design can remove the trouble to your finger when carry documents. Small label panels is provided for labeling contents of each slot. The circular corner and smooth edges design can protect people from scratches when using
- ▶Perfect Gift. Unique design make it not only as a storage tool, but also as an ornament, create chic wall decor in your home or office. A perfect gift for children, families, friends or business partners
- ▶Dimensions: 12.8 x 4.09 x 11.89 inch. Perfect size for home, office and school
College bathrooms are small similar to the dorms. Whether you are sharing a suite-style bathroom or running down the hall to your communal bathroom, you’ll need these college bathroom essentials.
I already have a college dorm bathroom essentials list post that goes further into detail about what you need for your bathroom.
I don’t know if your dorm will provide toilet paper, but you’ll definitely need to bring some to college.
My college dorm provides some thin 1-ply paper that barely lasted a week. Just bring some toilet paper because no matter what it will better than whatever they provide for free.
Towels (both small & large)
Toilets are a must for everyone in college. You’ll need both small and big towels for sure. I recommend bringing 2-3 of each size.
Keep yourself covered and warm after getting out of the shower with a bathrobe. This should definitely be on your college bathroom essentials list.
- ❤Soft Material: Premium 65% Polyester and 35% Cotton fabric,comfortable, lightweight, durable,very soft when touch your skin . The most comfortable robes is perfect for relaxing, sleeping, night dreaming, lounging sleep or home bedroom.
- ❤Inner And Outer Ties : These womens robes feature internal and external adjustable straps that fit your body no matter how you move, providing extra security and you don't have to worry if the ties are loose. As part of the morning and evening activities, it is a perfect choice.
- ❤Two Large Pockets: There is nothing worse than lounging around the house and having to carry your things in your hands everywhere you go. Once you put on this long soft robe, you will enjoy the convenience of the two large pockets.
- ❤Buy Welfare: Self-produce, own packaging, use vacuum compression bag, reduce package space, and compression bags can be used repeatedly.
- ❤Great Gift: This is a perfect gift for your mother, wife, daughter or friends.These bathrobes for women as their next birthday gift or the upcoming festival and holiday gift are good choice.
Use one of these instead of a towel! They’ll need to be replaced every month, but way better than using a towel in the shower.
You have no clue what kind of foot germs are partying on the floor of that bathroom in your dorm.
Buy yourself a pair of shower shoes to avoid that itchy foot feeling. Believe me, it’s not cute.
Buy a pair like these with holes in them.
- Supper Soft & Lightweight: made of High-Elastic EVA, give your feet ultimate comfort and pain relief.
- Quick Drying: drain holes design accelerate the water drain out and drying quickly.
- Arch Support: effectively balance pressure, reduce feet stress.
- Non-Slip: durable non-slip EVA outsole give your feet a good grip with no slippage and good balance.
- Tip: Don't use for a long walking, due to the supper soft and holed soles.
Get yourself a mesh caddy instead of those hard ones. Those hold so much water and I hated using them. Here is a mesh caddy perfect for any dorm bathroom.
- A large mesh shower caddy added with an attached key hook to safely store your keys, unique design with the portable shower caddy for dorm. Size (L)8.86 x (W)7.68 x (H)8.07 inches.
- The shower basket has large main storage compartment with 7 roomy outer pockets to organize all dorm room accessories to make them easy to find, carry and use.
- Strong and sturdy polyester mesh shower tote. Rubbery breathable mesh fabric dry quickly, double reinforced Oxford cloth handles hanging heavy items without tearing, better than single handle.
- Within a shower bag, no need complaining communal showers or accidentally leaving items in the bathroom. Easy carry items and keep shower tidy.
- Portable bathroom tote --- Hanging shower tote caddy over the door, showerhead or put it on a shower stand in the corner. Perfect college dorm shower caddy for camp, travel, gym, swimming.
Living in a dorm means that you will have to always wash your hands. Get a bottle of antibacterial soap for your dorm’s sink.
You do not want to slip and slide on the floors in your dorm. Get a shower rug or at least a water-resistant rug and place it near your shower or if you have a communal style bathroom, then place a rug near your sink.
- SOFT & ABSORBENT: Cotton absorbs water and dries quickly; The natural cotton yarns keep this rug looking and feeling great, even with repeated use; Floors stay dry, so no more worries about slippery bathroom floors; The fun, modern design adds subtle style and humor to any room, great for the guest bathroom, powder room, master baths, kid's bathroom and more; Perfect for tweens, teens and college students
- ALL-AROUND COMFORT: The plush rug is made of super soft and absorbent cotton yarns to give you a comfortable warm, and cozy place to stand when brushing your teeth or applying makeup; The generous size provides ample coverage to your floor; Use in front of bathroom counters, sinks, vanities, showers or bathtubs to keep feet cozy and warm
- STYLISH ACCENT: The trendy saying works in your bathroom, but try in the laundry room too; The unique design adds an interesting and stylish accent to any decor; The textured and thick yarns add plushness, comfort and style to any room; Use these beautiful and comfortable rugs throughout the home; Perfect for house, apartment, condo, dorm rooms, RVs and campers
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Made of 100% cotton; Easy Care - machine washable for easy hassle-free home care; Machine wash separately in cold water; Use mild soap or detergent: Do not bleach or dry clean; Do not iron; For best results dry on low heat or line dry
- THOUGHTFULLY SIZED: Measures 34" x 21" high
The next part of the ultimate dorm packing list is the kitchen. Dorm rooms do not have kitchens in them. Dorm buildings might have a kitchen on each floor or one on one floor of the whole dorm. Find out below what kitchen supplies you’ll need to bring to your dorm.
You will need somewhere to play all of your food. Mini refrigerators and dorm rooms go together.
Every single dorm room needs a mini-refrigerator.
I recommend getting don’t that have both a freezer and refrigerator section because you’ll also want to have frozen meal sometimes. I recommend this refrigerator from Amazon:
- SPACE SAVING & LARGE CAPACITY: With a size of 18.05’’x 17.83’’ x32.48’’ and a capacity of 3.1 cubic feet, this compact fridge is tailored to keep your favorite beverage cool, fruit or other food fresh, and also suitable for dorm, apartment, garage, bedroom and office
- SELECTED TEMPERATURE & AUTO DEFROST: By turning the thermostat knob, there are 6 settings adjustable thermostat control, from 24.8' to 50'Fahrenhei, for you to choose. Just press the defrost button in the middle of the temperature control knob. This small refrigerator will then begin to defrost
- ENERGY-SAVING & LOW-NOISE: This mini fridge conforms to Energy Star. With a R600a high-efficiency and low-consumption compressor, it can cool food quickly. The noise of the working refrigerator is below 37dB, which is very suitable for people who require quietness for living and working environments
- CONVENIENT FEATURES & HUMANIZED DESIGN: A reversible door and leveling leg make this mini fridge even more practical. With additional door storage, you can store two cans or small containers on the top shelf, and taller bottles on the bottom shelf. You can also adjust the crisper drawer according to your needs to expand more space
- ACCESSORIES & QUALITY ASSURANCE: 1 × TECCPO Small Refrigerator TAMF32; 1 × Ice Cube Tray; 1 × User Manual; 1 × Drain Tray; 2 × Glass Shelf; 1 × Crisper Drawer. TECCPO Offers a 2-YEAR QUALITY PROMISE for its products, which ensure your worry-free purchase
One college dorm essential you need is a microwave.
Hands down, if you do not have anything else, you will need a microwave.
- QUICK & EASY: Prepare meals and snacks in a snap with this compact microwave that packs 700 Watts of output power. 1-6 min. Express cooking and plus 30 sec. Button offer simple press-and-go speed while the memory function lets your store your most used customized settings
- CONVENIENT: Farberware 0.7 Cu. Ft. microwave oven is the ideal anywhere you need it small microwave solution for home or office. Full-sized cooking that fits in a compact space.
- COOK EASY & POWERFUL: The microwave offers 10 power levels with multi-stage cooking. Fully customize your cooking with 6 one-touch cooking programs including popcorn, potato, and pizza. Defrost by weight or by time settings help make quick work of any cooking task
- GET A CLEAR VIEW: The LED display with kitchen timer and clock lets you keep track of time while the easy-view interior LED lighting lets you keep an eye on cooking
- STYLE & FUNCTION: Stylish Brushed Stainless-Steel front and handle for a stylish, elegant look and the child safety lock function provides an added level of security
Plates & Bowls
When I lived in a dorm, I used a combination of paper and plastic plates and bowls.
I only had a few plastic ones because paper & plastic plates don’t work well in a microwave sometimes.
I recommend getting a pack similar to this one because there are affordable and going to last all year.
- WHAT’S IN THE BOX: Service for 4 that includes 4 of each of the following: 10.5” Dinner Plates, 8” Dessert Plates, 6” (26.5 OZ) Bowls, and 12 OZ Mugs
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS: beautiful dishes that are also microwave and dishwasher safe
- STONEWARE/MATTE GLAZE: a smooth, flat finish dipped in beautiful solid color creates a sleek and artistic addition to the table. The high firing temperature, thick build, and mix of all-natural clays, makes stoneware an incredibly durable material.
- STYLISH DESIGN: a modern simplicity with a faux Metallic trim along the rim brings style into every kitchen. These plates will make a statement. The coupe-shaped edges allow for a stackable and space saving benefit.
- FAMILY OWNED: Gibson is an industry-leading producer of tabletop and housewares products based in Los Angeles, California. Family-owned for over 40 years, we’ve developed a family of brands that thrive off relentless commitment to style, innovation, and value for our consumers around the world
For my dorm, I also used a combination of plastic utensils and silverware.
Target and Amazon have some cheap forks, spoons, and knives that work fine and I even have some after 2 years.
- 🍴 Classic Design --- Mirror finished, elegant patterns, heavy-duty 20-pieces flatware sets include / 4 Dinner Spoons / 4 Dinner Forks / 4 Steak Knives / 4 Salad Forks / 4 x Dessert(Tea) Spoons. They are made of durable 18/0 stainless steel in premium quality and they have classic design.
- 🍴 Deformation Resistant --- The fork, knife and spoon are heat resistant and rust resistant. Dishwashing liquids can be easily removed while washing. Easy to clean.
- 🍴 Outstanding Quality --- This flatware never needs to be polished, making care and maintenance easy. This flatware is dishwasher safe, making clean up easy and convenient.
- 🍴 Excellent design --- Excellent design of comfortable and long handle to these flatware sets. Exclusive durability. These flatware sets adopt durable stainless steel material and mirror polishing processing technique.
- 🍴 Perfect For Use --- The set is perfect for 4 people family daily use, gathering, parties, family dinner, apartment, cabin, home, camping, hotel, restaurant, formal dinners, party, etc or when you need extra flatware set.
Don’t underestimate the need for dishwashing liquid for your plates and bowls.
I had a small bottle of dishwashing liquid that lasted almost the entire year. You probably won’t wash dishes that often, but it’s nice to have it.
You need to get a water filter like this for your dorm so you can save money. The filter doesn’t need to change that often and it will do all the work for you.
Having a quality water filter in your dorm room will help you save money, so you don’t spend excessive money on Smart Water every day on campus.
- The BPA-free Ultraslim water dispenser holds 25 cups of water, enough to fill eight 24-ounce reusable water bottles
- Get great tasting water without the waste; by switching to Brita, you can save money and replace 1,800 single-use plastic water bottles* a year
- This slim, space efficient filtered water dispenser fits perfectly on refrigerator shelves, features an easy locking lid and precision pour spigot; Height 10.25"; Width 4.41"; Length/Depth 15.97"; Weight 3 pounds
- Our filter as you pour Stream water filter reduces chlorine (taste & odor) and more**; always get cleaner***, filtered water with an electronic indicator that makes filter reminders effortless. Note: Remove the filter and hand-wash the lid and reservoir with a mild soap. (Never use abrasive detergents or a dishwasher)
- Compatible with Brita Stream water filters; for the freshest tasting water, replace your Stream filter after 40 gallons or approximately every 2 months; *16.9 oz water bottle;**See certifications;***vs. tap
Mugs & Cups
Having 2-3 mugs and/or cups will be enough for your dorm.
You don’t want to get too many because you most likely won’t use that many.
Remember to bring snacks with you while you walk around campus.
Also, it’s great to have some plastic bags to store leftovers you get from free campus events.
Okay, here is a free college dorm hack: buy storage containers for food from the dining hall.
You are paying for that food! Just sit in the corner, take a container out of your backpack, and quickly move the food in it.
I did that often during my freshmen year and ate my food in my dorm room later that night.
Sundays are laundry days, especially in dorms. Do not wait to wash your clothes on Sunday in a dorm, okay?
Because EVERYONE is in that small room and it’s so chaotic. But here are the college dorm essentials for laundry day you’ll need.
Laundry Hamper or Basket
A laundry hamper or basket is a college dorm essential that you will need, especially if you live somewhere not on the first floor.
I recommend one with wheels for a dorm room and if you have an elevator because my back used to hurt carrying my basket up and down our elevators.
- Sturdy Top Lid: A flip-open lid keeps your dirty laundry discreetly hidden from view to keep your bedroom, kid's room or nursery looking neat, while the 3 neutral color choices are sure to compliment any room decor.
- Firm & Stable: Constructed from 300D cationic fabric and 1.2mm adhesive coated EVA foam, this laundry hamper is fitted with 2mm cardboard inserts on top and bottom for structure stability. Along with a steel rod and 6 supporting glass fiber pole rods, this hamper is built solid and firm for use.
- Easy to Install: Simply put 6 supporting rods into the fixed insert tubes, tie 8 olive buckles into corresponding suspension loops, and it's ready to use. Set up in minutes, and also folds flat for convenient storage when not in use.
- Two Large Compartments: With 2 large divided sections, you can easily separate darks and lights, clothing from linens, his and her items, or child and adult pieces. Two included laundry bags with handles fits onto the hamper firm and tight with drawstring stoppers. Use the handles to easily pull out the removable laundry bags with dirty laundry for wash.
- Generous Capacity: The overall dimension of the entire hamper is 23.6'' ( 60cm ) x 13.8'' ( 35cm ) x 25.6'' ( 65cm ), and the capacity is 136L, which can hold 3 - 4 loads of laundry. The capacity of each compartment is 68L, and they both can hold 1.5 - 2 loads respectively.
Tide Pods or Liquid Detergent
Y’all have no idea how shocked I was when I learned how expensive laundry detergent is.
Get your parents to buy it in bulk because sometimes I’d paid $20 for a huge bottle that was going to last me a long time.
- Helps eliminate odors at the source
- It doesn't need a wash, it needs a rescue
- Cleans deep down at the fiber level to remove stains and odors
- Add Tide Rescue to any detergent
- Designed For Regular and HE Washing Machines (front- and top-loaders)
Dryer sheets are kinda optional for some people, but they’re nice for when you wash clothes that will be soaked in sweat for a couple of days.
Not necessarily a college must have but fabric softener is that extra step that you sometimes need. It makes your clothes smell so much better.
I recommend getting a small bottle and using it sparingly.
Iron or Steamer
Again this isn’t a college must-have that you absolutely need. Getting an iron or clothing steamer will depend on you.
Most students I knew never used an iron-on campus.
Seriously, some people walk out with the wrinkliest shirts on campus.
But if you ever need to dress up for a job interview or have a job where you need to look presentable, then it’s best to get one.
- [Easy to Use] This 700W Hilife steamer generates gentle, long-lasting steam and has a 9- foot power cord, so you'll never have to worry about operating it remotely and you can iron clothes from a distance.
- [Portable]Hilife garment steamer is portable and lightweight, making it an ideal travel companion. This travel steamer is compact enough to fit in any suitcase or carry-on luggage.
- [Large Tank]Hilife Portable steamer has a water-holding capacity of 240 ml and can provide up to 15 minutes of continuous steaming to eliminate wrinkles flawlessly.
- [Strong Penetrating Steam] This Hilife steamer creates strong penetrating steam and can be used for a wide range of fabrics (chiffon/silk/wool/cotton/linen/nylon, etc.).
- Hilife garment steamer is designed for use with 110 volt outlets and is available in the United States and Canada. However, if the power supply is not 110 V, we recommend using a Voltage Converter.
One thing I always did before leaving my dorm was used a lint roller on my clothes.
It’s another unexpected thing you wouldn’t think to pack for college because it saved me for when my sweater or shirt would shed on my black leggings.
Your dorm is not going to clean itself. And believe it when I say that dorms get messy pretty quickly because it’s small and you’re going to be busy.
Here are the basic college cleaning essentials that you will need for your dorm!
Broom & Dust Pan
I don’t know why or how but dorm room floors are some of the messiest in the world.
I remember having to sweep my floor almost every other day due to all of the stuff that would accumulate on it.
I also recommend getting a broom and dustpan, especially one like this one that has a long handle, to make cleaning easier.
- No Bending Clean Up: The broom and dustpan set for home has upgrade 52" long broom handle which allow you to stand upright for comfortable sweeping instead of bending over.
- Dustpan Teeth: The broom with dustpan combo set builts in comb teeth for easy to scrape off the hair and rubbish of the broom silk into dustpan , no need to drag by hand, easy to clean human hair/pet hair and dust on the broom.
- Dustpan's Flexible Rubber Lip: The broom and dustpan set's flexible rubber lip conforms to clean all garbage and debris into dustpan, not swept underneath it.
- Efficient and Large Area Cleaning: The broom and dustpan set heavy duty is made of high quality/soft and heavy duty bristles which can effectively grab dust and dirt, full sized lobby broom head and large-capacity dustpan perfect for sweeping large areas.
- Dustpan Locks: Standing dustpan locks in open position for easy emptying , can easily dispose of dustpan's contents into the garbage. compact broom dustpan set design lets you hang the broom and dustpan together on the wall. It is a great way to save storage space.
Some dorms have carpets but I don’t know any. I think older ones on my campus did, but I’d also recommend getting a small vacuum because you’ll drop something and it’s too much effort to clean it.
- MULTI-SURFACE USE – Removes hair, dirt, and debris from carpets, car interiors, furniture, and high-traffic areas.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE – Easy to carry and maneuver, even in tight spaces. Has a charging base which cannot be mounted on a wall.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – On-board extension means you won’t need to bend over as often.
- ROTATING SLIM NOZZLE – Nozzle rotates 180° to fit into tight spaces at different angles.
- PULL-OUT CREVICE TOOL – Accesses hard-to-reach areas like between couch cushions and on top of shelves.
My mother prefers a traditional, old-fashioned mop and bucket to clean floors and complains about my Swiffer but it gets the job done.
Especially if you are in a tiny dorm and do not have time to spend hours mopping and wringing a mop.
I started using the Swiffer Sweeper when I was in my dorm and it was perfect for me as a busy college student.
- Swiffer refills are recyclable, simply download a free shipping label from TerraCycle to ship your refills to a new life and get rewarded
- 90% More Refills vs standard Sweeper Starter Kit pack
- Starter kit includes: 1 Sweeper Device, 4 Dry Heavy Duty Cloths, 3 Wet Heavy Duty Pads, 10 Dry Sweeping Cloths and 2 Wet Mopping Pads
- Heavy Duty Dry Cloths have 2x More Trap + Lock of dirt, dust, and hair vs. multi-surface Sweeper dry cloth
- Swiffer Heavy Duty Wet Mopping Cloths Trap + Lock 50% more dirt* allowing you to quickly and easily clean all your hard floor surfaces. *vs. Swiffer wet mopping pad
One college essentials that I can’t live without nowadays is a shower cleaner. I spray this every day to prevent my shower from getting gross.
Seriously, you have no idea how disgusting a shower can get over time.
- Contains (1) 28 ounce bottle of daily shower cleaning spray
- Daily shower spray made with plant-based cleaning power.
- Cleans without having to rinse.
- Biodegradable formula dissolves and prevents soap scum.
- Works on showers, tile, fixtures, glass and tubs.
Dorm rooms are literally some of the smallest living areas that I endured and I lived on campus every year.
I don’t know why but it is SO hard to get smells out of a dorm.
Literally, I was spraying air freshener every day in my dorm the first few weeks. Just buy a couple of air fresheners from Amazon.
Even before, this whole pandemic thing happened, I had a bottle of hand sanitizer in my dorm and would get some before I walked out of the dorm OR I’d use the one on my backpack.
Seriously, college campuses hoard germs and you can get sick easily living in a dorm.
Trash Can & Bags
In your dorm room, you’ll need a small trash can to place your garbage.
Most dorms have a trash room on each floor for you to put your bigger trash bags in.
- 20 liter / 5.3 gallon round stainless steel trash can with manual foot lever
- Soft-close lid reduces noise from opening/closing and extends product life span
- Fingerprint-proof, smudge resistant, and durable stainless steel exterior
- Heavy-duty plastic interior bucket can be easily removed for convenient garbage bag disposal and replacement
- Space-saving design fits into small areas such as narrow hallways, tight corners, or between appliances
When cleaning you’ll do best to buy an all-purpose spray, especially for a dorm room.
This is meant for those looking for college essentials on a budget because you can pretty much buy 10 different cleaning supplies and sprays at the store.
But an all-purpose spray will clean most surfaces fine. Also, you’ll save space with one spray.
- Contains 1 - 28oz spray bottles of Method All Purpose Surface Cleaner, Honeycrisp Apple.
- Non-toxic, naturally derived, biodegradable formulas.
- Power green technology cuts grease plus grime.
- 100% recycled plastic bottles.
- Never tested on animals
Again, living in a dorm can get really germy.
I had a bottle of disinfectant wipes in my dorm and wiped down my desk, hard surfaces, and door handles often.
You should have a pack of Clorox Wipes or any brand of disinfectant wipes in your dorm at all times.
- DISINFECTING WIPES KILLS 99.9% OF VIRUSES AND BACTERIA: Lysol Disinfecting Wipes are tested and proven to clean and kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria, including 8 cold and flu viruses (when used as directed).
- KILLS COVID-19 VIRUS: Tested & proven to kill COVID-19 virus (Kills SARS-CoV-2 on hard, non-porous surfaces in 15 seconds), EPA Reg 777-114.
- MULTI-PURPOSE CLEANING WIPES 3X STRONGER THAN A PAPER TOWEL: These disinfecting cleaning wipes are 3x stronger than a paper towel.
- USE ON MULTIPLE SURFACES: Germs and messes occur on more than kitchen and bathroom surfaces; conveniently tackle any tough surface including remotes, tablets, and smartphones with these multi-surface cleaning wipes.
- DISINFECTING WIPES FOR CLEANING: Disinfect and deodorize with the fresh smell of Lemon & Lime Blossom Lysol Disinfecting Wipes. Safely wipe down spills and remove allergens, including pet dander, dust mites, and pollen.
You’ll need something you wipe your counters and somewhere to place your late-night snacks on. I recommend buying them in bulk to save yourself a trip to the store.
Get a sponge or two to clean your plate and bowls and any cooking supplies you’ll use.
These cute sponges are the current ones I use for my college apartment and I love them.
Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Getting a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner will save you some time. I use this kind of cleaner for my toilet now and all I do is place it in the toilet bowl and let it sit for a few minutes. That’s it. It does its job perfectly.
Fabric Freshener Spray
One of my top college dorm room must-haves is having a fabric freshener spray.
You’ll have pillows and other items that you won’t be able to wash that often. A fabric freshener spray makes them smell better.
- Contains two 27 ounce Febreze Extra Strength Fabric Refresher
- Get the best of both worlds with this Febreze and Unstopables Fabric Refresher combo pack.
- Replace odors either with the sparkling smell of a freshly cleaned home OR with a fresh-out-of-the-laundry scent.
- Febreze FABRIC (formerly Febreze Fabric Refresher) Extra Strength is perfect for cleaning away odors from hard-to-wash fabrics such as clothing, upholstery, carpets, and window treatments. It is a perfect addition to your current cleaning routine.
- Unstopables FABRIC is perfect for those items you want to freshen with more perfume and longer-lasting scent, with up to 2X Scent Power*. It delivers an irresistibly bold scent. *vs base Febreze
On cleaning day, the last thing you’ll want to use for a cleaning rag is your bath towels (like I did in my dorm and ended up bleaching my colored towels)
.Get a towel or rag made specifically for cleaning to save you the trouble.
Driver’s License/State Issued ID & Student ID
It is a MUST to carry around any form of ID on campus. Also, the last thing you want to do it LOSE YOUR STUDENT ID. That is your lifeline on campus. And if you lost that then it will cost you to replace it.
If you plan to study abroad, bring your passport…or if you don’t have one, maybe your campus might be able to help you get one so you can be able to study abroad.
I’m iffy about bringing your original birth certificate but there will be some things such as jobs or anything related to need two forms of identification that you’ll need to have your birth certificate. Just need it in a safe & secret place.
Money & Credit/Debit Cards
You’re going to need money on campus…bring some. Also, learn how to manage your money while you’re at it.
Car Insurance & Registration
If you want a parking pass on campus, you’re going to be proof of your car insurance and registration. Keep in your car at all times!
Now, keep your car parking pass in your car at all times, especially if you living on campus or parking there. Listen…campus parking is nothing to play with. They’ll give you a ticket before you realize it.
Medical Insurance Card
If you still under your parents’ insurance then have your medical insurance card with you. Some health services on campus might need you to have insurance.
For this section, I included items that you probably won’t think about bringing but will most likely need them in an emergency or natural disaster.
Medicine & Vitamins
This is definitely a freshmen dorm essential that you absolutely need, especially in 2021.
Medicine and vitamins are things that I forgot to bring and had to pay a lot of money whenever I got sick. Again, college dorms are some of the germiest places on campus.
I got sick TWICE my freshman year. It’s best to get Vitamin C and D and bring whatever medicine you need.
First aid kit & Band-aids
Accidents happen, especially on campus. I recommend having a first aid kit & a box of band-aids in your cabinet or stored somewhere.
I wish I would have a first aid kit my first year of college when I was volunteering and a barricade landed on my toe.
I am not kidding. Buy yourself a first aid kit so you can have one whenever you need it.
- DESIGNED BY DOCTORS, EMTs & CPR INSTRUCTORS - Universal first aid kit for home or travel first aid kit for car. Emergency kit/ tactical first aid medical kit packed full of first aid supplies. Take the first step to be prepared with our med kit
- POCKET-SIZED & PORTABLE - Lightweight small first aid kit (7.5" x 5.2" x 1.5") compact safety kit that holds all emergency first aid kit, bag can be refilled & an ideal mini first aid kit for businesses. Our premium first aid kit, travel edition
- WILDERNESS ADVENTURER KIT: Perfect backpacking first aid kit survival, first aid kit camping. Ideal for exploring kids first aid kit, or hiking first aid kit for backpack. Whatever adventures you embark upon take our tactical first aid kit
- PREMIUM QUALITY MEDICAL SUPPLIES - Manufactured in a modern facility with the highest quality material. Whether its a car first aid kit, emergency kit for vehicles, your medicine cabinet or emergency kit for home - Protect Life will keep you safe.
- PROTECT LIFE PROMISE - We care about keeping people safe with our 1st aid kit/small first aid kit for backpack. Should you have any issues with our home first aid kit/camping first aid kit contact us immediately and our medical team will be in touch.
You never know when you will need batteries. Try to keep a pack somewhere in your dorm.
- FORMULATED WITH 4X POWER BOOST INGREDIENTS: Duracell Optimum AAA batteries contain 4X of Duracell’s patented POWER BOOST Ingredients vs Coppertop AAA
- OUR #1 BEST PERFORMING BATTERY: Duracell's Optimum AAA battery is our best performing AAA alkaline battery
- RESEALABLE PACKAGE: Duracell Optimum batteries come in a resealable package for quick, easy access and storage
- #1 TRUSTED BATTERY BRAND: From storm prep to holiday needs; Duracell is the #1 trusted battery brand for the moments that matter most
- QUALITY ASSURANCE: With Duracell batteries; quality is assured; every Duracell product is guaranteed against defects in material and workmanship
In case your dorms’ lights go out, it’s nice to have a flashlight around. It’s better to be prepared.
Feeling under the weather? Check your temperature with a thermometer. This is the exact one I have in my bathroom right now. Totally recommend it.
- AWARDED BY NY TIMES FOR ITS SPEED AND RELIABILITY - The iProven Oral & Rectal Thermometer is loved by the NY Times Wirecutter, because it only takes 10 seconds to check your temperature and get a reliable result.
- COMFORTABLE & CONVENIENT - Our thermometer has a soft, flexible tip. This makes checking your temp as comfortable as possible.
- TEMPERATURE CHECKING MADE EASY - iProven’s DTR-1221A is equipped with a fever alarm, smiley indicators, and finishing beep. Taking the guesswork out of knowing when your temp is normal or a fever.
- FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY - Our thermometer is suitable for the whole family. From babies to teens to adults. With its waterproof tip, it’s easy to clean before and after every use. Making it hygienic to pass through the family.
- RETURNLESS REPLACEMENT OR REFUND - We’re confident in our product. Order today, and you’re protected by our 100-day refund or replacement policy. No return needed! NOTE: Package may vary.
I never thought that I’d put rubbing alcohol on my dorm room checklist back in the day, but you’ll need rubbing alcohol at the most random times. It came in handy in disinfecting surfaces when I couldn’t find Clorox wipes this past year.
One of the things that I always carry around on campus was lip balm. I recommend getting the vegan lip balm below because not only are they aesthetically pleasing and vegan, but also some of the best lip balm that I have used.
- A luxurious, 100% petroleum-free vegan lip balm with rose absolute that delivers long-lasting hydration and fuller lips.
- Hyaluronic acid immediately helps moisturize, smooth and plump lips. Wakame algae also helps restore the look of lip plumpness.
- Ceramides, squalane and rose absolute protect from environmental aggressors and seal in moisture with just the right amount of shine.
- Squalane is the foundation of every product we create. Made from 100% plant-derived, renewable sugarcane, it weightlessly hydrates & locks in moisture for a soft, smooth & healthy-looking glow.
- All Biossance products are nontoxic, synthetic fragrance free, paraben free, phthalate free, and mineral oil free.
Safety is so important on campus. Campus can get dangerous sometimes and it’s just nice to have pepper spray. This is an absolute must have for college freshmen. I recommend getting this pepper spray from Amazon but there are so many other kinds that you can get to keep you safe.
Again, just in case you get sick on campus, you need to have supplies around. It’s worse when you realize that you get sick and can’t go anywhere and don’t feel like. I recommend getting a small bulk of Kleenex tissue that’s stored in your dorm room.
I recommend reading my The Ultimate College School Supplies List blog post where I go into detail of why you need each supply. On this list, I’ll give a brief sentence or two about each supply.
Even with the vast amount of technology we have today, you will still need an old-fashioned notebook with you to take notes. My favorite notebook is the Five Star 5 Subject Notebook, and it has lasted me the whole year and even a year and a half in some cases.
- LASTS ALL YEAR. GUARANTEED!
- Scan, study and organize your notes with the Five Star App. Create instant flashcards and sync your notes to Google Drive to access them anywhere from any device.
- 5 subject notebook has 200 double-sided, college ruled sheets that fight ink bleed and are perforated for easy tear out. Sheets measure 8-1/2" x 11" when torn out.
- Tough pockets help prevent tears and hold 8-1/2" x 11" loose sheets and handouts. Four 2-pocket dividers keep subjects organized. Covers are water resistant to protect your notes and our Spiral Lock wire helps prevent snags on clothes and backpacks.
- Made with SFI certified paper. Notebook is recyclable – just remove the reinforcement tape on the pocket and recycle the rest! Available in Black.
Pens & Pencils
Pencils and pens are should be on every single dorm shopping list because you’ll need them no matter what. Buying them on campus can get super expensive. Also, I recommend buying a good amount of pens and pencils because they will disappear.
The G-2 Pilot pens are some of my favorite due to their smoothness and overall look.
- PILOT PENS BLACK & BLUE PENS G2 - The smooth writing pens, long-lasting Black and Blue Pilot G2 pens .7 mm features a comfortable rubber grip, makes it great for journaling & professional Office use.
- LONGEST LASTING, REFILLABLE GEL INK - Proven to be the longest writing gel ink pen among top brands, the smooth-writing, retractable G2 gel ink pen is a classic choice for all your writing needs.
- PERECTLY SUITED FOR YOU: If you love the original Pilot G2, you'll want to try our full G2 line of Mini, Metallic, Mosaic, & Fashion gel ink pens in a variety of sizes, barrel designs & colors.
- TRUSTED QUALITY: We've been making pens for over 100 years. Whether you're taking notes, stocking up on school or office supplies, or writing in a bullet journal, Pilot has the perfect pen for you!
- POWER TO THE PEN: Pilot makes exceptional writing instruments to suit all your needs. We have fountain, ballpoint, retractable, erasable & gel ink pens, whiteboard markers & more for every writing style.
You’re going to need somewhere to place your pens and pencils. Remember to put this on your packing list!
Binders are great to place any printable sheets you have or if you prefer one over a notebook.
I didn’t expect to need a folder in college but you’ll one. Professors hand out so many papers for you and you’ll need to keep up with them. Just buy a decent folder to keep up.
One of my best study hacks was highlighting in my textbooks and notebooks. I personally love Midlinder Highlighters and have used them every year of college.
- Double-sided design offers 2 tip sizes in single utensil
- Mild color shows up softly for unique results
- Reusable storage case allows easy storage and travel
- Nontoxic formula ensures safe handling and use
You’re going to need somewhere to put all your school supplies. I recommend trying to find a backpack that will last you all four to five years. I had a NorthFace Borealis and it has not failed me yet. It has 2 sections and 2 side pockets for a water bottle and umbrella.
I go more into detail about what are the best backpacks in this blog post.
- BOREALIS CLASSIC. The women's version of our much-loved Borealis pack features easy-access pockets, a women-specific FlexVent suspension, and the sought-after recommendation of the American Chiropractic Association.
- FLEXVENT TECHNOLOGY. The FlexVent suspension system features a flexible yoke built from custom injection-molded shoulder straps, a padded mesh back panel and a breathable lumbar panel for comfortable, ventilated support.
- TOTAL ORGANIZATION. Two extended mesh water bottle pockets double as multi-use pockets. The front compartment has an extra padded tablet sleeve and zip pockets. An external fleece-lined pocket stores small items or electronics.
- COMFORTABLE CARRY. For school, work or travel, this commuter backpack has a top handle for easy grabbing and a removable waist belt for a custom fit. A sternum strap with whistle buckle adds extra support and safety. Reflective details help you stand out.
- TECH SPECS. Dimensions: 19.75" X 13.25" X 9.75" (50.2 cm X 33.7 cm X 24.8 cm); lap top sleeve: 13.25" x 17.75" (33.7 cm x 45 cm). Volume: 27 Liters.
To tell you the truth, what college students need the most, is a planner. I honestly couldn’t have stayed so organized without my Ban.do planner.
- Encourages Self-Care: This year’s personal organizer will focus on finding peace, building space for yourself, and slowing down. The very purpose of having a planner is to fill it with plans, and we believe that we can help combat the idea that busy-ness = success with some built-in tools to help you take your time. Each month’s content (compliments, to-dos, reflection pages, etc.) points towards a phrase/idea to help you be your best!
- Daily, Weekly, Monthly Planning: This 17-month agenda in our classic size is dated from August 2021 to December 2022 and has all the features that make our planners great. Daily planner features dated weekly calendars with tons of space to write and make lists for every day of the week. Each monthly view has a monthly calendar with a column for notes, major holidays listed, and a glance to the months directly before and after for an easy reference.
- Focus on Goals & Organization: ban.do planners are made to do more than just remind you of your next appointment. This planner book features a double-sided pocket page to conveniently store loose notes and laminated tabbed dividers that are color-coded by each month to allow you to easily locate your place from start to finish. The easy-to-use format makes organizing your big plans a breeze so you can still make space to take care of yourself.
- Planner Accessories: Given how 2020 went, this year’s personal planners are all about balance, because plans and to-do lists are important, but so is slowing down and making space to take care of yourself. Inside this appointment book you’ll find notes pages, unbelievably good artwork, (a ton of) stickers, notes of encouragement, a coloring page, a “choose your own calm” quiz, and way more!
- Unique Design: When creating our hardcover planner, we teamed up with 20+ female artists from all over the world to create a rich visual assortment that’s abundant with joy. We wanted to celebrate balance and calm with an energy that makes seeking those things exciting through irreverent humor, a maximalist approach to design, and nods to the things and places that inspire us most. This one features cover art by Ana San Jose and measures 8.13 inches (20.7 cm) long x 5.13 inches (13 cm) wide.
One school supply that you’ll need for college is a stapler. You have NO IDEA how hard it is to find a free stapler on campus. I purchased this mini stapler, and still have it to this day because of how some of my professors would not take a paper without it being stapled. Please get yourself a mini stapler to avoid the hassle.
- Mini stapler comes with 1000pcs No. 10 staples and a built-in staple remover
- Stapler with cute panda shape is perfect gift for kids or colleagues
- Fasten up to 12 sheets of 80g paper; holds up to 40 staples capacity
- Low staple indicator on the side helps you refill timely
- Size: 2.4 x 1.2 x 1.4 inch; suitable for office, school, home or travel use
Most math classes require a calculator and it’s also nice to have one around when you’re pinching pennies and figuring your monthly budget.
- Robust, professional grade scientific calculator. Logs and antilogs
- It has 2-line display shows entry and calculated result at same time
- Easily handles 1 and 2 variable statistical calculations and three angle modes (degrees, radians, and grads) and scientific and engineering Falsetation modes
- It has 1-year limited warranty
- Solar and battery powered
Finally, one college dorm essential that you will need is a package of printer paper. Now, as I mentioned in my college school supply list post, there will be times when you need to print something, and guess what happens?
The campus printer has no paper. Just save yourself the stress and buy a thing of paper.
- MADE IN USA - HP Papers is sourced from renewable forest resources and has achieved production with 0% deforestation in North America. See images.
- 30% POST-CONSUMER RECYCLED FIBER - HP Recycled30 is a 20 lb paper great for high-volume printing, copies, drafts and other everyday business documents. Perfect for black and white printing with recycled paper.
- CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE - HP Recycled30 paper is Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified and contributes toward satisfying credit MR1 under LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). See images.
- COLORLOK TECHNOLOGY PRINTING PAPER - Colorlok technology provides more vivid colors, bolder blacks and faster drying. See images.
The final section of the ultimate college packing list is random college dorm essentials that don’t fit any of the other categories but are needed.
Any hygiene products
At first, I was going to dedicate a whole section to hygiene products but I realized that there are so many products and everyone is different. You should bring whatever you use on a daily basis, use to wash your hair, or anything you think you need. All I can say is deodorant and condition better be on the list.
When you have to take a weekend trip home or fly back home for Thanksgiving OR even when you move into your dorm, a suitcase will be so useful. I recommend this set from Kenzie that I absolutely love (and planned to use for my study abroad trip but you know covid said no.)
- 3 PC Luggage Set Includes Large Checkin Suitcase, 20" Carry-On, and 16" Underseater Carryon Tote Luggage
- 360 Degree 8 Spin Wheel (Dual Wheel) System for easy mobility and light on the wrist
- ID card holder on back
- Large suitcase and 20" carry-on can expand 2" for extra packing capacity
- Special Features: Lightweight Expandable Telescoping Handles Photo & Id Holder
Rainy days on campus are so annoying. It’s best that you get an umbrella and put it in your backpack just in case it starts raining.
- ☂【WINDPROOF 8-RIB CONSTRUCTION】: Anntrue umbrella is designed with 8 resin-reinforced fiberglass ribs that flex slightly to withstand powerful gusts. The canopy is designed to invert itself and bounce back to its original shape when meeting heavy winds.
- ☂【AUTOMATIC OPEN / CLOSE】: With one-handed press of a button, the Anntrue umbrella will be automatically OPEN / CLOSE in a second. You do not have to struggle with the closing your umbrella when getting into a car, building or tent. Now with this umbrella, No more waiting for your umbrella to open or close while you get soaked by the rain!
- ☂【PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT】: Now you don’t need to choose between big umbrellas and tiny umbrellas that can not supply practical wind protection. Measuring just 11.6" long and weighing less than 1lb, the folding automatic umbrella is extremely packable in purses, briefcases, backpacks, luggage and more.This is the best partner for travelling!
- ☂【QUALITY MATERIALS】: Anntrue umbrella is coated with Superior Teflon which can repel water and dry much faster than our competitor. The frame is designed with a three-fold chrome plated black metal shaft which allows for greater stability and durability in strong wind.
- ☂【ONE YEAR GUARANTEE】: Your satisfaction is our #1 concern. If it doesn’t meet your expectation in any way, we will promptly replace it or 100% refund you without any question asked or any additional cost. You are protected for life from the rain, sleet and snow, through our hassle-free replacement program.
To avoid the freshmen 15, I recommend planning a workout plan and keeping some workout equipment in your dorm. You have no idea how just seeing a yoga mat can motivate you to exercise.
Storage Rolling Cart
One way to store your hygiene products or makeup is to get a rolling cart. I have one in my bathroom right now because I don’t have the cabinet space I used to have. But they are also great for storage food and school supplies.
- Multifunctional Use Rolling Cart: This rolling utility cart can be used as a tool cart, service cart, book cart, or organization rack in your office, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, pantry, studio, classroom, and craft areas. It can add extra storage to any room.
- Spacious Storage Capacity: This utility cart provides 3-tier large storage space while saving you floor space to optimize space utilization. Deep baskets are designed for preventing items from dropping. Per shelf weight capacity of up to 22lbs.
- Easy & Convenient to Move: This 3-Tier storage cart comes equipped with 4 wheels (2 lockable) and the handle design makes it easy & convenient to roll around to anywhere you need, or lock it in place.
- Customizable for Different Storage Needs: Adapt it to various storage needs by adjusting the shelves or removable handle. This utility cart comes with required tools and simple assembly instructions so you can easily assemble the rolling utility cart within 15-20 minutes.
- Strong & Sturdy: The utility cart is made of high-quality metal materials to hold up to 22lbs per shelf. The 3 tier rolling cart is perfect for party night to keep guests entertained with mobile drinks and an ice bucket.
College campuses typically have a few recycling places on campus that you can bring your recyclable items. My roommate and I did this and separated it from our trash.
For safety (and trust) reasons, I recommend getting a few locks for your dorm and can place on your closet doors.
- ✈【Sturdy Material】Constructed by zinc alloy body, the cable locks is more durable and compression resistant than aluminum alloy. The flexible cable is made of braided steel, the connecting shackle is sturdy but flexible to pass through almost all zipper ends.
- ✈【Inspection Indicator】Find out if your bag has been checked. When you pick up your bag at the airport, if the TSA opens your baggage, a red button will pop up on the top of the cable lock. You will know to recheck your baggage to make sure nothing is lost.
- ✈【Anti-misoperation Button】With the factory default combination of 0000 entered, Use the pen to press the reset button, Just by one click to set your code and no need of continious pressing. Enter your new combination, Re-click the button and the password is set successfully. Setting your combination is that easy.
- ✈【Easy to read 4-digit wheel】The 4 digit combination lock is more secure than the 3 digit one by providing 10000 combinations of code. uses a white numeral on a black background for our combination dials, These high contrast dials make reading your combination a breeze.
- ✈【Slide Switch】Unlike the traditional button switch, this luggage lock is more secure by using slide switch to prevent technical or violent open. Slide the steel wire from the code wheels side to another to open after entering the password and then press down to close.
Have somewhere to place your drinks that doesn’t ruin your wooden desk or makes a mark on them!
- Marble Pattern Coaster Set: Package includes 8 pieces of absorbent marble pattern coasters and a durable metal holder to keep the coaster neat while they are out of use. Perfect gift for housewarming, birthday, holiday, etc.
- Furniture Protection: These coasters are made of great quality absorbent ceramic stone and have cork bottom. They could not only protect your table from the condensation from the glasses, but also protect your table from high heat.
- Strong Water Absorption: Suitable for both hot and cold drinks, for ceramic and cork feature insulation and absorption performances. Water drop on the mats will be absorbed at a visible speed and the non-slip cork bottom further protects tabletops from scratches.
- Decorative Useful Metal Holder: With the nice metal holder, you don’t have to worry about the storage of coasters. It is easy to keep the coasters in order and away from a mess.
- Multifunctional Use: InnoGear pretty marble pattern coasters could easily go with any décor style, such as living room, kitchen, bar and so on. They are also nice to be ideal presents for birthday, Christmas, anniversary, etc.
Finally, the last item on my ultimate dorm packing list for 2021 is a cube organizer. If you have space in your dorm to have one, I recommended it. My roommate had one and I was lowkey jealous because it fit perfectly underneath her bed and held all her snacks. I was so inspired that I bought one for my bedroom back at home that summer.
These organizers are great to store anything you need, such as snacks, clothes, or even to decorate.
- Features 6 cubes with 3 shelves for organization and display of a variety of household items
- Includes 3 back panels for added stability
- Units designed to be stackable; wall mount accessory included
- Inside Cube Dimensions: 11. 2 W x 11. 2 H x 11. 7 D inches
- Assembled Dimensions: 24. 1 W x 35. 88 H x 11. 7 D inches
This was the ultimate dorm packing list. I hope this list gave you an idea of where to start for packing for college because I had not a single clue.
Before you leave, you should DEFINITELY check out these blog post that I’ve written just for college freshmen:
- 80 Questions To Ask Your Roommate Before Moving In
- 17 Items To Share With Your Roommate in College
- 39 College Hacks That Freshmen Need To Know ASAP